Sunday, September 11, 2011

Saturday Night Dinner - Frozen Chicken Burgers

Ladies and gentlemen, this could be the beginning of something amazing... last night, I actually cooked what I had planned to cook.  We had Trader Joe's grilled chicken burgers:


 with all the fixin's and a salad with Trader Joe's Fat Free Balsamic Vinegar.  We had some mixed reviews so let me get to it.

First off... the burgers do not look like the picture.  I know you are completely shocked, but it's true.  Secondly, the directions say to place the frozen patties on the plate, cover with plastic, and cook for 2 minutes.  Not so much.  I cooked them for 2 minutes... then 2 minutes more... then took off the plastic and cooked them for 2 more minutes (which worked but I lost a whole lot of juice this way and almost spilled it all on me as I took the plate out of the microwave). 

Thirdly, for chicken burgers they were very flavorful and juicy (at least according to me).  I'm not normally a fan of chicken burgers (the consistency and lack of flavor get to me) but 99% of the items I've tried at Trader Joe's were amazing (you know who you are 1%... I'm not pointing fingers but if I did I'd point them at the dry gnocchi pasta) so I was willing to give it a go.  I ate my burger on a white bun (couldn't do whole wheat which sometimes gets really dry with a chicken burger) with red onion (absolutely necessary on a chicken burger), tomato, lettuce, ketchup, and mayo.  Even though I had all these other flavors I could still taste the chicken burger and it tasted good.  I'm thinking a southwestern version of the burger, maybe with avocado, barbecue sauce, and jack cheese, would be awesome too.  It was still a chicken burger consistency but I didn't mind that too much.

Now on to the others in my family.  Evan ate the entire bun (dipped in ketchup... he also dipped his cucumber pieces in ketchup... eww) and then ventured on to the burger.  He didn't scarf it down but he ate about half of what I gave him (1/2 a patty) and didn't spit any out.  Brian however, was not the same.  He let me know before dinner that he doesn't like chicken burgers but I ignored him for 2 reasons, 1) that was all I had for dinner, and 2) he often tells me he doesn't like things and then ends up liking it (think couscous).  Well... Brian doesn't like chicken burgers... not even Trader Joe's chicken burgers.  He said he couldn't eat it because of the consistency.  I think he ate a lettuce and tomato sandwich for dinner and had some frozen waffles later on.

Recipe: Trader Joe's Grilled Chicken Burgers
Rating: Ellen (I can't give this an "Evan" since he wasn't enthusiastic about the burgers)
Future Recommendations: This might have to be something I make when Brian is out of town and Evan has something else to eat.  I want to try other flavors on the burger but I know I'm the only one who is thinking like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment